Wednesday, November 9, 2011

brussel sprout love !!!


        In this post I thought I would share a fantastic recipe from the November's Whole Living magazine. Dad this one is for you. I bought brussel sprouts thinking I would roast them. Then I saw this recipe and had to make it.
                                                 
Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Grapes

about 8 cups of halved brussel sprouts
about 4 cups of grapes
2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
I did 2 tsps of dried thyme as I didn't have fresh on hand ( if using fresh 4 tbsp)
coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tsp of balsamic vinegar
( Now they added toasted walnuts 1/2 a cup-I didn't have any)

1. heat oven to 450.On two baking sheets toss brussel sprouts and grapes with oil and thyme.Season with salt and pepper.Roast until caramelized and tender, about 20 minutes. 2. Drizzle each tray with 1 tsp vinegar and scrape up any caramelized bits with a wooden spoon.( toss on walnuts if wanted.)

This recipe was quite easy ( okay the brussel sprouts took the longest ) and I really liked it.John had some and warmed some up the next day. ( As you have read by now John is my "should I make this recipe again gauge") So this one is going into the recipe file as a keeper.It might even come out for Christmas.

  So I decided to make a small change to my life. I joined Weight Watcher online. I have to lose some weight and with me not being able to workout with much intensity. I have to look at my food choices. I have two friends who have liked the program so I thought I would give it a go.

  So 5 days in and what have I learned....holy crap...alot!!!  My portions are out of control, just inputting items to get the points had been so eye opening. Some things like chips I would have eaten easily 10 points in a sitting. Yesterday for lunch I counted them out so I would have 2. I find myself really thinking about what I really want.

      My next shocker..... I have 29 points in a day....I was consuming that many in just beverages alone.  I knew they were high but never would I have thought that high.7 points for my soy chia latte from Starbucks or Timmy's dble dble( These were the indulgent venti sizes).5 points for a can of Pepsi.So I did the research I can have them...but smaller and just one a day. I am finding I am enjoying them more.

   I am being more mindful.What should I eat that is no points if I pick something I really want. Tonight with dinner I want a red wine.That's 4 points and I am at my limit.So if I want something later my new Elf's Help David's tea and a banana. I love that almost all veggies and fruit are free points.My fiber intake has soared through the last few days. I am slowing down and enjoying my food more.I have to think this is your points, I can have more...but here is the kicker.Do I NEED more? My light bulb moment.

  In all I like the program.I am still learning and I will get faster. On Sunday I hope to share my new recipe creation. I love earl's Mediterranean Pasta, I just could never get it right.But, I have made one that I am in love with.

   I want to end with sending prayers and gratitude to all of our veterans and Canadian soldiers.You do us proud every day.Much Love to you all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment