Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Quinoa and Kale

   So I have two recipes to share.I really enjoyed them both.I only have a picture of the Quinoa salad.

  
  QUINOA- a super grain and one I am trying to eat way more of.It has twice the amount of protein of other grains,fewer carbs, and more healthy fats. It is a complete protein and contains all eight amino acids.It's gluten free and rich in iron,calcium,potassium,fiber, and lignans.It is also heart healthy.(source-Vegetarian Times special Healing Foods magazine) Now you know why this grain is going to be a major part of my diet from now on.
  
Quinoa and Roasted veggie salad.
  I took some peppers,baby carrots,baby potatoes,beets,garlic and shallots.I cut them to the same size and tossed them in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and added some pepper and sea salt.I roasted them in the oven for about 40 minutes.Until the potatoes were tender enough to poke with a fork. About 20 minutes in I prepared the Quinoa to the package directions.The Quinoa cooked very fast and I was really happy with it.
I tossed the Quinoa and roasted veggies together.I made a dressing of 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar,1 tsp of mustard grains and whisked in about 1 tbsp of olive oil.I poured it over top and mixed it together.I have enough for dinner and maybe two lunches this week.I know the flavours will get better as it sits.Yummy!!!!!

KALE- it has calcium,fibre,iron and vitamin A,C, and K.It is rich in sulforaphane,which helps keep blood vessels healthy and has been shown to have anticancer and immunity boosting properties.It boasts antioxidants zeaxanthin and lutein,which promote eye health.AMAZING!!( it is making the current dirty dozen so try to buy organic or whine and get some from a garden.Thanks mom and dad!!!)


Kale and White bean soup( this was from Yoga Journal)
   This soup was so EASY!!!!! It made enough for leftovers.I will make this again for sure.It was light and very filling.

1  16 ounce can of navy beans(they suggested cannellini beans but I only had navy on hand.)
Olive Oil
1 bunch of Kale
1/2 tsp of dried sage(I used a few sprigs of fresh)
1 clove of garlic(I did two- I LOVE garlic)
3 cups of veggie stock

Drain and rinse canned beans.Heat oil in sauce pan,add Kale cook for 3 to 4 minutes(it should be wilted but, still crisp.Add beans,garlic,sage and stock cook 3 to 4 minutes or until warm.That is how easy this is and it smells Divine.


    I LOVED how easy these recipes were and that I have them to eat again.That is a double bonus.

   I would highly recommend Vegetarian Times presents healing Foods magazine.It has great info and some great looking recipes to try.I just purchased it off the stands two days ago.

1 comment: